Facets Summer Film InstituteA unique, week-long, intensive film camp for teachers
July 2226, 2013
Earn 30 CPDUs
At Facets Summer Film Institute, you will...
- Engage with the media-based world of today's students to effectively achieve lesson plan objectives.
- Build a collection of media resources and strategies to inspire students with various learning modalities.
- Harness film's power to unite a multi-cultural class, encourage empathy, and create teachable moments.
- Watch, discuss, and enjoy classic and cutting-edge films while mastering Film Studies 101 in one exciting week.
How It WorksFilm scholars provide expert instruction on film aesthetics, film history, and film techniques, including:
- The Impact of Film Editing
Learn the language of film for Media Literacy.
- Lighting, Camera Angles, and Set Design
Impart how visual style interacts with story for Fine Arts.
- Narrative in Cinema
Treat film as a text, and compare and contrast to Literature.
- History of World Cinema
Put film in context, and use as a specialized source for History.
- Classic Hollywood Movies
Appreciate film as a cultural artifact for Social Science.
Each morning includes an introductory lecture supported by articles and handouts. Every afternoon, you’ll watch a feature film, then apply and deepen your learning through discussion, activities, and worksheets you can adapt for use in your own classroom. Activities include editing exercises, visual associations, relating movies to literature, historical discourse, and analyzing a masterpiece.
DetailsWhen: Monday, July 22 to Friday, July 26, from 9:00am to 4:30 pm.
Where: Facets, 1517 W. Fullerton Ave., Chicago, IL 60614 (Free parking on Fullerton and neighboring side streets.)
Meals: Breakfast foods and coffee provided in the morning. One hour lunch break (lunch not included).
Credits: 30 CPDUs for the week.
Cost: $395; Facets Members: $350 (includes all handouts and materials). Many schools offer reimbursement for the fee. Ask your school about payment reimbursement options.
ApplicationDownload a PDF of the Film Institute Application
Download a PDF of the Application Details